Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ireland, Wales, and England

Eurostar pops me off in London and I immediately switch to the local English rail system to head up to Wales. Much to my surprise, the train is on time and contradicts its reputation. Four hours of beautiful countryside littered with livestock and seaside views later, I am deposited at the port of Holyhead in Wales. I wander around a bit before I catch the high-speed ferry across the Irish Sea to Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, just south of Dublin.

Once in Dun Laoghaire, I jump on the DART (yes, I am assuming it is the same company as for BART). As I have limited time, I do something I though I never would. I take an open top bus tour of Dublin so I can get dropped off and picked up at several main attractions over the few days I am there. I get tired of the bus and end up walking most of my tours as Dublin is a small and very walkable city.

Of all the places I visit, I am most impressed by the Long Room at Trinity College. It may be my affinity for beautiful libraries, but walking into this room gives me a feeling of awe that surpasses even the first time I walked into the Harper Library at the University of Chicago (one of my favorite libraries in the world.)

I also take time to please my stomach. Of course, I stop at Guinness. Yes, it tastes ridiculously good at the source. Almost chocolately. Local traditional and hipster fare are most tasty and produce some of the best potatoes of my life. (Kissed by a summer bonfire?) Too over the top? Go to Gruel on Dame St. and taste their roasted baby potatoes with bathed in garlic aioli.

No comments: