Sunday, June 22, 2008

Agra (Taj Mahal)

Agra is incredibly polluted. Flying into the city, all I can see is a blanket of pollution which requires me to strain my eyes when I try to make out the shadows of the city underneath. I will discover later I am allergic to Agra's pollution, or at least something in the air. As a result of the pollution, apparently, all industry is forbidden in Agra, resulting in heavy reliance on tourism and a tradition of handicrafts (weaving, jewellery, and marble work) for livelihood among residents. Interestingly in the fight against pollution, the Army has a significant presence in Agra...,...,...

I visit several sights in and near Agra, including the Taj Mahal and Fatepur Sikri.

The red sandstone palace compound, mosque, and mother-of-pearl encrusted tomb that lie within the walls of Fatehpur and Sikri are ornamented with thoughtful detail. Within the palace at Fatehpur, the architectural elements reflect each major religion of the country, a reflection of the contemporary emperor's wish to unite the religions. In the heat, Sikri is also a popular place of relaxation for the local people of Fatehpur, and many families seek refuge in the airy walkways of the mosque complex at Sikri.

The Taj Mahal is as gorgeous as you should expect. Even on the day I visited, cloudy and with restoration workers humming about scaffolding propped up the front of the monument, it was still stunning. The structure is constructed of marble, semi-precious, and precious stones that glow in the light of the moon or the sun. Simply refer to my photos and recall that I used a handheld camera to achieve those shots --- a testament to the level of beauty and symmetry of the monument.

No comments: